Saturday, December 10, 2016

Micro Touch Focusing System for the Lunt scope

Of course, I wanted to focus my new Lunt scope also from the computer. Luckily, I still had a Micro Touch Focusing System that I once tried to use on my Edge scope. I checked with Wayne from Starlight Instruments and it turned out that I could even use the MSM20 stepping moter from the EDGE scope.

... but when I tried it, the motor didn't work well - got stuck from time to time, so I had to order a new one.

Installation of the motor on the Feathertouch Focuser is fairly simple. The motor gets attached on the side of the red micro focusing cog:

1. we unscrew the red cog:

2. we unscrew the black wheel:

3. Take the little cog that came with the MSM20 motor

push it flush on the axis and tighten the screw

Finally, take the motor

Push it onto the axis. Might have to wiggle it a little to make sure that the two cogs interlock

until it is completely on the axis and you can't see any silver anymore

and finally tighten the screw:

And now we connect the motor to the Micro Touch Focusing unit and can either more the focuser in out with the control box

Next was to control the focuser from the computer - which turned out to be very tricky.

No comments:

Post a Comment